Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
This guide offers tips to help you get started on your assignments.
Photo courtesy of Flickr: Ron Wiecki
Make sure you understand all the words/phrases you have identified:
- Use a dictionary
- Textbooks can provide a good overview of a topic
- Wikipedia can also help define a topic but do not use it as a reference source.
Know your topic
- Read through your question or task to ensure you understand it
- Consider the objectives or purpose of the subject
- Read the marking criteria carefully
- Identify the type of assignment e.g. essay, report, review etc.
- Highlight any keywords/topic words
- Underline any task words (directive words)
- Identify the scope or focus of the topic e.g. limiting to Australian information only, particular date range or population group
- Take note of word limit.